Friday, May 4, 2012

MCA

My very first editorial assignment took place May 28, 1994 working with the Milarepa Fund, a non-profit organization that promotes awareness of the Tibetan independence movement, founded in 1994 by Adam Yauch and activist Erin Potts. I was so excited on many levels one as a fan of the Beastie Boys, but also getting the opportunity to meet The Dalai Lama, MAJOR! There was a Tibetan artifacts exhibition being held at The Smithsonian, my assignment was to photograph the Tibetan Monks constructing a mandala at the exhibit. We then travel by bus to the Jefferson Memorial, were the blessings of the mandala sand were placed in the Potomac River. Next stop, The Rock Show! The Tibetan Monks shared their traditional dance and music by opening for the Beastie Boys at WUST Radio Music Hall. I guess you could call this show the birth of the Tibetan Freedom concerts. Here are a few images I was able to dig up
WUST's back alley, They were so excited to see the crowd inside!
I had the pleasure of working with Adam a second time shooting The Beastie Boys for Vibe Magazine in 2005. They were so much fun to work with and made my job a breeze. I feel lucky to have been able to work with such talent! Rest in Peace MCA.

No comments: